KITTILYT

The Kittiwake was intended to be a long range/freestyle quad but in reality it was much better suited for the former, being an utter tank with weight to match. As such, I decided to design a variation on the theme, using the same layout but in a much lighter package - this became the Kittilyt.

The arms were slimmed down a bit, and the baseplate and top plate redesigned to be much shorter, with the camera plates redesigned into a front cage assembly that also mounted a HD camera. Given the 2.5mm carbon I was using, I decided to try a "tail" extension on the top plate, hoping despite being unsupported it would be strong enough to take a few hits.

One other change of note was how the arms and base plate interlock - I removed one of the through screws, and chose to use the screw head for the stack/standoff as a structural element instead. This proved surprisingly resilient - whilst there's a little movement, it's certainly acceptable for a frame of this type.

The build is more compact that the Kittiwake but still easy with the space in the frame. After the racing season wound down I transplanted the electronics from one of my Mahou Shoujo builds into a 5.5" armed Kittilyt frame, and it flew brilliantly.

I also built another couple of examples - a 6" version with wider arms, and an 8" on skinny arms. Both of these revealed a downside of the tight deadcat frame layout - with the props so close at the back, battery size is limited. The solution is to simply run smaller props - 5.5" on the 6" arms and 7" on the 8" arms worked a charm.

Whilst the 8" was a bit of a flop (literally, the arms had too much flex), the other variants have been rock solid freestyle performers which I still fly today.

The Kittilyt is available to order here.

0